Sunday, May 31, 2009

Can I Say?

By 1985 hardcore was on its way out, and the originators of the genre were looking to greener pastures. Those who didn't start playing more metallic styles opted to inject a degree of sensitivity and personal politics into their trip. Dag Nasty was the brainchild of former Minor Threat/Government Issue dude Brian Baker. Brian enlisted the talents of Dave Smalley, formerly of DYS to sing on the band's debut Can I Say. When this came out I was rather disinterested in punk bands singing about their feelings and the like, but this record is pretty great if you can just tune out the goofy "Man, navigating social circles is tough because I am an overly sensitive rich kid in a punk scene, and I have high moral standards and unrealistic expectations of my dumb friends and even myself" lyrics.


10 comments:

Chris said...

This was my introduction to melodic hardcore but I didn't hear it till the early nineties. Always thought the lyrics were kind of vague, in comparison to many other finger-pointing hardcore bands.

Todd said...

"Man, navigating social circles is tough because I am an overly sensitive rich kid in a punk scene, and I have high moral standards and unrealistic expectations of my dumb friends and even myself"

Hahahahahahahahahaha

sam said...

haha your description of the lyrics is quite sound

kerns said...

oh my god, you nailed it. pretty much how i felt from about age 16 to age 19, going to hardcore shows and wondering who was going to see what kind of car i was driving. (a toyota)

Jenny said...

Hheheheh I think those types of lyrics would be more applied to Gorilla biscuits. I mean what the hell's wrong with busting friend's balls(Things we say) or sitting and playing Donkey Kong(degradation? I think)

z said...

"Man, navigating social circles is tough because I am an overly sensitive rich kid in a punk scene, and I have high moral standards and unrealistic expectations of my dumb friends and even myself"

YESSSSS! this is why we have 'punk' bands wearing eyeliner an singing about girls now.. someone should ve beat the crap out of them back in the day and stolen the gear for crack money

Roger Camden said...

man
lot of lines being drawn in sand around here

anyway
I liked it
didn't much notice the lyrics
(even with the prominent role in the write-up)

what are some other bands who play like this?
(self-righteousness optional)

Aesop said...

Like this? Hard to say, really? Maybe Rites of Spring, Marginal Man, Second WInd?

Douchess of York said...

Now who invented "emo" ? Was it them or Huskers? If you drove a Volvo you'll loved this album. This album still stands the test of time.

DD

Devil Dick said...

musically tight but other wise ghey...

fuck this shit and fuck 7 seconds,,,,