Sunday, May 17, 2009

Today I Am Dirty...

Jörg Buttgereit's 1994 film, Schramm, follows the final days of Lothar Schramm, Germany's notorious "Lipstick Killer." While Lothar lies dying in a pool of his own blood he revisits his life through a series of flashbacks. He recalls his crimes and his secret obsession with his neighbor, a prostitute played by the beautiful Monika M. Despite its unflinching violence, it is a touching and sad portrait of a lonely man. Once again, Buttgereit's work is accompanied by an equally unsettling score that I wish to share with you. Today I am dirty, but tomorrow I'll be just dirt.

11 comments:

- said...

I've been looking for this for quite some time! As good as this film is, I've always felt that the score is really what made it work so well. I only wish someone would issue Der Todesking on DVD. Thanks for this!

Jake Thee Pope said...

Is he really gonna nail his... no way!! AAIIIEEEE!!

RyGar said...

Speaking of serial killer films, have you Seen "Citizen X"? Really great dramatization of the Andrei Chikatillo case. I've got it archived if you want it. I haven't seen this one, though. I'll try and track it down.

Aesop said...

Haven't seen Citizen X but will look for it. Schramm will be available on Netflix soon.

Toxic Molar said...

Awesome movie. Haven't seen any of his other films, but it's on my to-do list.

You can find bootlegs of Der Todesking on various sites, just need to look. Google it. Some sites are just as good as buying a DVD.

Mike said...

Sick fucking movie!I have a bootleg vhs of this great first date flick.

Burek said...

Thanks for the soundtrack! I watched the movie a few months ago and I liked it quite a bit.

Old Sardul said...

Well I never saw the movie - but this soundtrack is damned creepy and worth playing for background. Makes the skin crawl, doesn't it.

YRAGAEL said...

For fans of Buttgereit's work, please check this out... Buddy Giovinazzo's COMBAT SHOCK is being released in a 2-Disc Special Edition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TwlJtpim84

e normous said...

Citizen X is a kickass movie.

The Snide Mr Fish said...

Interesting. I'm still on the look out for Der Todesking which also has a great soundtrack. Interestingly Varg Vikernes of Burzum used to praise these soundtracks in interviews many moons ago.