Friday, June 26, 2009

Shakin' Street

This one is for my band mate Christy Cather, I know she goes for this kind of thing, but you will too. After leaving the Dictators, but before joining Manowar, Ross The Boss hooked up with some fellow New York musicians and the lovely and enthusiastic Fabienne Shine just off the love boat from France. They formed the band Shakin' Street and made a couple of really fun albums of hook-laden power pop that spot the mildewed record bins of thrift stores all over the US of A. Here is the band's self-titled second album. Every song on here is a gem, but I am partial to "Solid As A Rock" which could be the anthem at the triumphant end of an '80s teen sex comedy where a group of rag tag teenage misfits overcome their differences to beat those snobby rich kids in a boat race, or golf game, or whatever. Sad that something this tasty remains generally unknown, but we're changing that right now, motherfuckers.

16 comments:

ümlaut said...

Awesome!! I saw Shakin' Street twice in 1979-80... First opening for Blue Oyster Cult and Cheap Trick... and then this show:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/umlaut555/152873069/

TMM said...

Wow....Fabienne Shine's voice is a gem.....what else has she done musically?????????????

I'll definitely get hooked on this one!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aesop said...

She did a solo album in 1997. I imagine it wasn't very good.

Anonymous said...

Wow - this is really great. thanks!

Solid As A Rock,
john/milwaukee

Christy said...

Thanks Aesop! I love it! Yep, I can definitely see this album being the new dancing sensation at my house. I'll burn a copy for Suz, too.

P.S. I sent the link of Ezra's postings the other day (which were awesome) to my mom and she wanted me to tell you that she absolutely loves Ezra Lux.

Aesop said...

Ezra's post received more comments than any other post on the blog. Glad you like this album, I knew you would.

Unknown said...

Interestingly enough, Fabienne Shine was married to Damon Edge of Chrome.

Yeah I know, trivia....

DiNo said...

Wow, I had completely forgotten about this one... Nowhere to be found on my old tapes, so I'm gonna try to buy the vinyl right now. Thanx for the reminder!

Aesop said...

I knew there was a link to Chrome somehow but didn't know what it was. Thanks.

lou ghee said...

Doesn't she perform with Helios Creed these days?

Aesop said...

Don't know.

The Mayor of Greene Falls said...

To think, a year ago I found five copies of this in a Thrift Shop and three were sealed... I'm kicking myself!

Anonymous said...

They played The Mab the day after the DOG in '80. What a change in venues!

GRK. said...

Been curious to hear Shakin' Street for yonks. Thank you!

theheft said...

Picked this lp up in DC over the weekend. Vocals are definitely unique sounding, personally some songs just sound like filler but the first three tracks are tits!

sappersteen said...

I think they opened up the BLACK & BLUE tour of 1980. I caught the tail end of their set at the Cap Centre and was unimpressed. Diggin' hearin it 20 years later back then I just wanted to hear the Cult and Sab.
Thanks!!!!!!