Friday, September 3, 2010

Sealings vs. Lois Magic

Sealings, whose debut tape that was featured on Terminal Escape and then here, go toe to toe and blow for blow with Lois Magic. Both bands hail from London and play minimalist electronic deathpunk with a lo-fi bent that reminds us of our favorite uber-fucked Black Metal tapes. Sealings are the more mopey of the two, while Lois Magic are considerably more noisy. Pretty close one here, but Sealings just has better songs. Lois Magic put up a great fight though.

8 comments:

the wizard said...

I didn't initially dig this one as much as the first tape, but after repeated listens, the SEALINGS shit grew on me. It's not as dark as the debut, but the songs are indeed great, and I love them.

Roger Camden said...

I'm ensnared by the Gummo-esque cover.

Unknown said...

dis is good.

den som slutar said...

This is fucking incredible! Sealings sounds like Blessure Grave mixed with Circle of Ouroborus or Nuit Noire er something. Anyone know where to find their tapes in N. America?

blacktooth said...

Yo, I didn't know that shoegaze and chainsaw-punk hung out. What a pleasant sur-prise.

margo said...

I gave this 2 listens today (long bus ride). Sealings win, you're right. But I almost voted Lois Magic just for Sweetheart. This album brought me back to the 90s for some reason.

The Cramp said...

Nice split. I'm on the fence about either ones superiority. Droning, repetitive, chaotic, Metropole does it for me. The photo on the cover is by Mary Ellen Mark, a fairly famous contemporary photographer. She has been at it forever. If you don't know her work, you should take a look, I suggest the collection American Odyssey. She documents "the dregs of the city," with a brutal and honest lens.

slaveborn said...

Sealings take it. where's the full length aye?