Friday, July 10, 2009

Screams Of Anguish

Brutality were the most underrated band in the pantheon of Florida Death Metal. This album kills, but the one after was considerably less interesting and the third was just horrible. Perhaps this is the reason these guys were forgotten in the history of crushing Sunshine State death. Screams of Anguish is classick. See how the cover art is all busy with images; each one is super fucked up and wicked evil? Well that's how Brutality approached songwriting, you are just getting into this crazy zooming-at-you-skull riff, and they turn around and give you this even better reptilian-eye-that-won't-stop-staring-into-your-soul riff. Seriously mandatory.

10 comments:

Asa said...

A+ writeup as always, dude. I love how these guys switch up riffs. Have been listening to this album all summer long.

chris said...

new to me, thanks

Steven said...

The guitar solos are worth the price of admission alone.

Icky said...

Wow, this is excellent!
Never heard (of) these guys before, totally up my alley right now, nice...

fritts said...

Excellent album. Ceremonial Unearthing is such a killer track.

Anonymous said...

Wow - this is so fucking good. Thanks for another great post!

john / milwaukee

Optocaust said...

Some pretty killing material, this. Obnoxiously well-done soloing shows these dudes didn't start out in a garage playing ham-fisted death metal, they were obviously oldschool motherfuckers with a bit of experience to back them up. Good stuff.

Anonymous said...

Amazing this is but a footnote to 90's death metal. Wild!

The Glacial Scablander said...

I first heard of Brutality from the Death Is Just the Beginning II compilation. It had a different version of "Cryptorium". And I have to say I like the comp version better after I heard this CD. It's the little things I guess. I also have a soft spot for their 5 years Nuclear Blast comp track [which I am neglecting to remember the title of at this moment]. I agree with you about their latter days. They just couldn't get the amount of exposure other bands were getting at the time. It's not like EVERYONE can burn crosses into their forehead. Thanks for letting people have a chance to hear this gem of Florida death metal.

Will Towles said...

I heard one of there later albums (demons on the cover???) never bothered with them again, what a shame...thanks