Wednesday, May 19, 2010

There is a Man in the House

When Ludicra played in Ft. Worth, Texas some years ago we had our minds blown by The Great Tyrant, a crushing synth-doom entity containing former Yeti members Tommy Atkins and Jon Teague and their most unnerving friend Daron Beck. The band defied description and stood as a towering monolith against your tritest categorizations. They may have hinted at influences buried in Krautrock, The Birthday Party, and towering Doom, but really they were just The Great Tyrant, it's all they knew. There Is a Man In the House is the band's unreleased full length. I imagine it will go unreleased as the band immediately morphed into Pinkish Black following the untimely death of Tommy Atkins on February 24th of this year. Darren and Jon's determination and drive for sonic obliteration in the wake of tragedy is truly inspirational. I was fortunate enough to see Pinkish Black perform in April, Tommy's bass cabinet on stage in memoriam screaming forth phantom sounds. It was a somber and beautiful (and very loud) tribute . The Great Tyrant is dead, long live Pinkish Black. Thank you Daron and Jon.

Link removed at the behest of the band, apparently a release IS pending. Sorry, gentlemen.

17 comments:

AshurTech said...

Really, really cool, thanks

Anonymous said...

Goblin meets Winter! Awesome.

GRK. said...

And thank you, Aesop.

ido said...

That cover illustration is extremely unnerving. Wonder where they found it.

Really interesting write-up. Any mention of THE BIRTHDAY PARTY sends me into hysterics, so I'm very curious to listen to this one. Thanks for all your hard work.

Children's Prison said...

Actually - I think "Krautrock, The Birthday Party and towering Doom" sum it up pretty well. This sounds great on a Wednesday morning. Thanks Aesop.

L0qii said...

I like this alot, and would probably have never heard it otherwise. Thx.

dustinswanson said...

much respect to yeti and these guys. i love how they cover Weidorje on the myspace.

Anonymous said...

The track 'Theres a man in the house'reminds me of some things on Rembrandt Pusseyhorse werent they from Texas too ?

Anonymous said...

This is awesome!

NO BEAST SO FIERCE said...

hey
welcome back!
So, i asked ya a while ago if ya minded if I posted something ( a bit rare)that you had, you said it was fine as it wasnt your music, just give ya props. Well, I did it again and I figure i'd let ya know if and when i ever do it. Downtown Noise Punker.
Do you have volume two by chance?
cheers
Sean
NBSF

NO BEAST SO FIERCE said...

hey
welcome back!
So, i asked ya a while ago if ya minded if I posted something ( a bit rare)that you had, you said it was fine as it wasnt your music, just give ya props. Well, I did it again and I figure i'd let ya know if and when i ever do it. Downtown Noise Punker.
Do you have volume two by chance?
cheers
Sean
NBSF

Aesop said...

I think DTNP #2 just came out, and no I don't have it

Unknown said...

this rules

Anonymous said...

I think Daron and Jon are a bit above their station this blog is a platform that alot of bands would like to have

khfreek said...

hey can you tell me what the tracklist is?

Aesop said...

@khfreek:
Almost Dead To Me
There Is a Man In the House
Adorable
Stay Away
Bearing Teeth
Stillbirth

@anonymous: it's a debate as old as the internet
on one hand I am giving something away for free that they wish to sell. On the other, I have created an awareness of the thing that didn't perviously exist. So you can't buy something you don't know exists, but why would you buy something that is free? Regardless, I have to honor the band's requests to remove stuff no matter how I feel about it. Jon and Daron are good men and GT was a great band. When this album comes out I will be the first to buy it.

The Crust Monk said...

Aesop, this is freaking amazing!!!!! i managed to DL it before you took the link down and am so glad i did. great blog as usual brother!