Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Last Scene

Les Anges de la dernière Scène is the second demo tape from deeply occult French Black Metal band, Epheles, and it happens to be one of my favorite underground cassettes. Though they formed in 1998 and are currently active, Epheles evoke the atmosphere of the earliest melodic French bands like Funeral and Blessed In Sin. Beautiful and chaotic riffs coupled with muddled production, liberal use of outmoded keyboards, and overblown vocals have become the calling cards of the underground French Black Metal scene and Epheles is no different. Raw and vaguely classy and very very French. Très magnifique!

6 comments:

TMM said...

What are some Trademarks of French Black Metal. I know Blut Aus Nord, Glorior Belli, and all the LLN related records and tapes I've picked up here. Epheles is cool and I'm still listening to both Knokkelklang demos regularly and loving them.....

Do you dig Pavor at all?

ApocalypseWestCoast said...

Howdy Aesop... I'm not sure if like the the keyboard parts on this. Maybe if Randy Newman, or that dog Rolf from the muppets was tickling the ivory's on this I'd like it more.
Anyhow no ball punching will happen, and Rhett and I are totally cool now. I just emailed him the other day. I told him I've got the first round of brews at the show on the 25th (although the round will be a 12 pack of High Life and will be drank in the van due to my economic constraints). Your welcome to join us cause I gotta tell you I love your blog dude. Wait... did that sound fruity... Yeah it did. Dude lets drink.
See ya there.

valter said...

Great demo! Please keep the French stuff coming!

Anonymous said...

I like to think I know something about music and then I click on the hearse and I am humbled everyday. Thanks for this great release. best blog hands down.

-jabladav

Gore.Metal said...

I can't believe this is only a demo. Truly excellent stuff here on the hearse. Thanks for sharing!

Impossible Object said...

Sweet. I will be the kvltest kid on the block listening to this! Great stuff. Like that guy jabladav said. I think I know a thing or two about music then get schooled when I come on here. Thanks man.