Friday, April 10, 2009

Oxnard

Oxnard, California, the largest city in Ventura county and the lima bean capital of America, brought us something more than legumes you didn't want to eat as a child, Nardcore. Bands like RKL, Dr. Know, Agression, False Confession, Stalag 13, Habeas Corpus and Ill Repute were comprised of kids, many latino, who lived in a nebulous area, away from LA's erudite art punks, and Orange County's uber-violent surf nazi jocko retards. They created their own scene and style that married the aesthetics of So Cal hardcore, skateboarding, and cholo cool. At the forefront was Ill Repute, and What Happens Next was the band's debut statement. It is a furious bit of teenage hostility that still makes me want to grab my stick and rip it up on southern Cali suburban streets. Nardcore!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

And it was on this day in April 2009 that I figured out where What Happens Next got their name. I'm quick like that.

Toxik Boys said...

Great post. The Nardcore is one of my favourites movements under the hardcore in US.
And yes!!!, many Latino!!

SKV said...

Ha ha, RKL: KEEP LAUGHING!!!!!!!!

Jakøb Häncey said...

I love this album, too bad they never did anything good after this.

Anonymous said...

oh shit!

Flight Of The Troglodyte said...

I remember this record reverberating heavily, all the way to my best friends early 90's roach motel on the side of a highway in rural South-West Michigan.

expommit said...

Being from Oxnard, but slightly after Nardcore had blown over, Dr. Know always loomed a little larger for me. But this ain't bad.

demo tapes said...

plug in jesus was the shit!

Elvis said...

I always thought Dr. Know were the kings of Nardcore after Brandon left. Not to say I don't like the early stuff with him on vocals but Kyle's voice at times sounded like he could crush you with his vocal chords.

chrisdc said...

late comment here, so pretty useless! I used to have this in the '80s and would find myself humming the tune to Cherokee Nation all the time. This is making me download another record I haven't heard in decades: Agression's Don't Be Mistaken. Agression were bone-headed for sure, but as a young skatepunk that cover and logo was second only to COH's Fight Or Die. As usual, thanks Aesop.

Aesop said...

It's never to late to comment. I appreciate it.

NARDCOOOOORE!!!!

Anonymous said...

Dr. Know and Ill Repute all great guys-really wacky when encouraged.

toke!