Friday, February 26, 2010

Crusades

SubArachnoid Space are the best and longest running instrumental cinematic post-rock/prog band you have never heard of. Besides having a history that dates back to 1995 and a staggering number of fantastic albums and even more line-up changes, the band's lynchpin Melynda Jackson has the distinction of being one of my all time favorite people. She was kind enough to share this extremely limited, self-released CDR called Crusades with the dear readers of Cosmic Hearse. If you were one of the many people that got all bonered up by the record by Gift Horse I posted some time back, you'd do wise to get this and all things SubArachnoid. The band now resides in Portland, Oregon but this was recorded back in 2006 when they still called San Francisco home. I think after fifteen years it's time this band got their due.

18 comments:

Nate C said...

This one stayed in my changer for weeks.

Kon said...

Damn right it's time they get some credit.
Awesome band.
Cheers from Greece.

Peter Santellan said...

I missed checking them out in Portland Halloween weekend, mostly because a friend of mine was interviewing a band that was also playing that evening at the Satyricon and I could get in for free. So, to make up for it, sort of, I will check this out.

Dan Fitch said...

Yezz. Saw them on that tour you did with Agalloch last fall, and they were good times. THANKS!

Anonymous said...

Thank you and thank Melynda for posting this!
What an amazing band!

Children's Prison said...

This is fucking fantastic. Thank you Aesop.

Aylmer said...

Always meant to listen to this band. I'm liking this a lot. Just happened to get really baked right before listening and its just right.

DaveScattered said...

I've been looking for this! SubArachnoid Space get overlooked all too easily/often. Thanks for posting this.

ido said...

Will definitely check this out. Thanks to both you and Melynda.

Chet the Medicine said...

loving this.

the wizard said...

I think the current white-clad SubArachnoid incarnation might be the best one I've seen. hi quality shits.

ElKapitan said...

As always, your description sells it for me.
Many thanks

Petya V said...

thanks

Kniv said...

Great stuff, thanks for posting.

Architect Records said...

"I think the current white-clad SubArachnoid incarnation might be the best one I've seen. hi quality shits."

there new album "eight bells" and recent live shows have completely proven this in my opinion, they are one of the best bands around right now, and although I love the stuff they did with Mason, they just keep getting better. Awesome to hear the original drummer is back.

Architect Records said...

"I think the current white-clad SubArachnoid incarnation might be the best one I've seen. hi quality shits."

I could not agree more, although i love the old stuff with Mason, SAS is a band that continually grows and at the same time gets better. if you guys haven't heard eight bells, get it, better yet get it on vinyl and pay up bitches

Anonymous said...

I'm totally blown away every time I see this band. Thanks so much for this post.

Silky Bravado said...

They are now no more...a tear