Sunday, February 10, 2008

Sometimes you just want a hamburger

If you have been following the hearse since its inception then perhaps you have come to expect a certain criteria for what gets posted. Well, fuck that. Sometimes you don't want to overanalyze, sometimes you just don't have it in you to wax philosophic about this album or that artist, sometimes a record or a band just doesn't merit such pontification, and sometimes, fuck, you just want something as comforting and as familiar as a hamburger. Deicide's first album is that hamburger. It's not mind-blowing, or particularly rare or obscure, it's not a timeless classic or a deeply profound work of staggering genius, it's just what it is. Sure, maybe way back in 1990, when this abomination was unleashed, it may have freaked out a few parents, scared a few televangelists, and maybe even urged a few ugly fucked-up teenagers towards violence, but today it's just a hamburger. Not a bacon double cheeseburger, not a western burger and definitely not some pussified garden burger, just a burger, plain and simple. Deicide requires nothing from you but your ears and a willingness to suspend some of your urbanities in favor of an unadorned trip through bonehead hell. If your tastes are too sophisticated to enjoy anything so common and lowbrow, you'd be better off over at Pitchfork Media, gushing over whatever freak-folk psych retro bullshit they're pimping this week.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I think simple death metal is the best just because it's there, it's stupid, it's loud. Never chceked out Deicide but I think i'll fix that now.

Ambassador MAGMA said...

Uh, I'll take that garden-burger if you're not going to eat it!

I actually like Deicide's newest album. It's really really good!

Anonymous said...

Great cd! Awesome to see it on here... Makes me crave hamburger.

Bobovdeath said...

i like this album..its really slayer-ish death metal that reminds me of dirty trailer parks and crystal meth,not like that new over produced clicky shit that reminds me of big goateed bald guys and a headache.

Anonymous said...

I used to love freaking out my 8th grade classmates in Catholic school with this album! Mmmm hamburger...

Nick At Midnight said...

My mom bought this for me for my 13th bday after I begged and begged. I remember being so overwhelmed by the intense blasphemy. I was so inspired I painted a cheezy demon on my guitar with a really bad version of the Deicide logo which was later covered over by a Whorehouse Of Representatives sticker haha

vaudeviewgalor raandisisraisins said...

the drums i was warned was pretty desperate goob rock, but actually it's pretty tight typewriter work. carnage in the pimple of the spammed. they thunk this one thru with prion ridden brain.