Thursday, August 25, 2011

Elektronik Türküler

Erkin Koray is perhaps the most respected musician to come out of the whole Anatolian psych scene of the '60s and '70s, and his best known album Elektronik Türküler is a masterpiece that should not be missed simply because you are young and unturkish. With it's contagious grooves, and one billion gorgeous flourishes and hooks, I wonder why this album hasn't been sampled to death by every upstart DJ and hip hop producer on earth. Swirling druggy sitars and other exotic instuments intermesh with Korays plucky guitaring and mournful voice. I reach for this one often and it always reveals new mysteries. Absolutely essential.

12 comments:

KiDG said...

Mindblowing. Thanks for this!

crackedmachine said...

High hopes for this one. I love Bunalim, Selda, and Mogollar, so I'm excited to hear this. Thanks!

The Typing Monkey said...

Yes! Looking forward to this, so thanks much for the music. I stumbled across a Mustafa Ozkent comp on Finders Keepers a few years ago and played it for weeks on end. http://www.finderskeepersrecords.com/discog_mustafa.html

The funk's so thick on that disc it leaves smudges on your fingers.

Czar Nicholas said...

Holy hell. Killer stuff. Thanks.

Ben said...

So true. Man, you're such a great crate digger.

Θόρυβος Τώρα said...

kebab, hashish, raki, belly dance

GRK. said...

Another one that's been long overdue for my lugs. Ta!

WordVeri: ovolasts. An egg using a punchbag.

Karen A. Mann said...

I really wish you had a way to stream music rather than just a download. Often when I read your blog I'm in a place where I can't download (like work). Anyway, just a suggestion.

Todd said...

Yo, all of this freak's records are so awesome. Let me know if you're short any. I think I have a whole bunch of rare 45s as well.

Necati Tüfenk said...

Hello from Istanbul! Very recently a collection of his rare singles (with his authorization) has been released on the Sublime Frequencies label. Unfortunately up until now all of his recordings have been released as bootlegs. A great article has been written on him by the maestro Julian Cope http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/thebookofseth/1177

Nid said...

Wow! I haven't commented on a post for ages, although I've been following the Hearse fairly steadily. I am instantly in love with this record! One of the best things I've heard in a long time!

Chris said...

Enjoyed this one quite a bit.... thanks mang!