Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Loud Dead

Despite having a history dating back to 1993 and almost a dozen releases, Sweden's Nastrond is not often talked about. The duo of Draugr and Arganas have comprised Nastrond from the start, their dedication to pure Black Metal is unparalleled, but still they remain fairly obscure. Toteslaut was their first album after a few demos and an EP. It was released in 1995 by Napalm Records. Sure, nothing here is as life-changing as say, Dissection or Abruptum, but definitely a thread in Sweden's kvlt BM history that should not be ignored.

11 comments:

James Von Sutekh said...

I wouldn't have thought nicking Marduk's logo would have won them many friends at the pool.

Anonymous said...

Great release !
Essential.

Carl Warslaughter said...

This is one of those albums I pick up about once a year and give a spin, hoping I remembered wrong about it sucking so hard. However, it really sucks in my ears. It's too bad 'cause absolutely everything about it,from the artwork to the songtitles, is fucking great EXCEPT for the music! Can't bring myself to throw it away though - it might surprise me one day. The last song, "Gravestench", is pretty good though.

Gonzalo Santander said...

better than "Age of Fire"

Helm said...

How did Abruptum change your life?

Aesop said...

Not mine, per se, but I could definitely understand how hearing Abruptum for the first time could be moving and a catalyst to look into other things. I can't safely say that Nastrond has that sort of power.

pavel said...

nastrond fuckin' rules! glad to see them on the Hearse.

Unknown said...

I'mma let you finish, but Toteslaut is one of the best Black Metal albums OF ALL TIMEZ!

Bill V said...

Kind of reminds me of the greek BM bands and a little of early Samael. I'm enjoying this, thank you!

the farting ass said...

Oh hell yea. Abruptum changed my life as it cured my insomnia.

GRK. said...

Bloody great. Thank you.