Thursday, July 17, 2008

Schattengang

Paysage d' Hiver is one of the best bands in Black Metal today. For years this Swiss entity's demos were among the most coveted releases amongst the kvlt and nekro set, but recently they became more available through a series of beautiful and limited A5 digipack CDs released by Kunsthall Produktionen. So what makes Paysage d' Hiver that much better than the rest of the painted throng of black metal hordes? Well, take a good look at the image above. Sure it looks like a fairly standard scene of a nighttime forest that might adorn any Black Metal record, but notice the depth, notice how it keeps going further and further into the distance. Paysage d' Hiver is alot like this image, their depth, their ability to create landscapes of frigid sound, and their swirling hypnotic layers that are constantly revealing something new upon each listen. Paysage d' Hiver are one of a few active bands that understand what makes Black Metal great, a sense of mystery, coldness, and distance, NOT who is the most "true," Satanic, or kult. I couldn't possibly recommend this enough. Pure magick!

20 comments:

-cja said...

couldn't agree more with your whole statement. if i'm not mistaken, i believe the man behind PdH is part of Darkspace who are incredible as well and somewhat similar.

Robert said...

Well, you've convinced me. I'll give this a listen. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

As you say, great stuff. Kunsthall is his own label, right?

Anonymous said...

it's just not possible not to download this album after reading your description.

Aesop said...

What do you mean?

Anonymous said...

pardon my english Aesop.i just meant that your description has convinced me to download this and give it a listen.

Aesop said...

Ahh, I thought there may be a problem with the link.

Ambassador MAGMA said...

makes me yearn for winter... permanently...

Robert said...

Okay, I listened to it, and dude...it's awesome!

Aesop said...

Told ya'.

Thun Tzu said...

Rules. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I was also lured by your description - seems to be a killer this one, thanks!
Dag

Anonymous said...

Man, what great stuff! I was just turned on to your blog, and am overwhelmed by the amazing rocking material you post! Keep it up! Also nice to see a few we share collection wise.

MW

dustinswanson said...

i have the nacht demo, you want?

Aesop said...

I got it, but thanks.

Anonymous said...

havent listened to it yet, but the album cover is amazing and is now my background. ever notice the dude in the cloak on the path?

ido said...

Looking forward to digging into this one! Especially now that its starting to get warm out and winter is ending. Need some coldness in my life. Your description of "swirling hypnotic layers" of sound is especially enticing.

Daniel said...

Was listening to this and I thought the hellhounds were on my trail...than I snapped out of it and realized I was still standing in my kitchen doing the dishes. Still looked over my shoulder periodically to make sure I didn't get bit in the ass

Brandude said...

I'm sold. The entire description was great, but relating it to the depth of the cover image caused me to start the download before I finished reading the paragraph.

Raze Hell said...

awesome post