Monday, December 17, 2007

9 Shocking Terror

My love for the Japanese hardcore of the 1980s knows no bounds, and it was Lip Cream's 1987 album "9 Shocking Terror" (along with G.I.S.M.'s "Detestation") that really brought me to the fold. Recently I reacquainted myself with "9 Shocking Terror" and found it to be as potent as it was upon my first listen. "Ripping" is the word that first comes to mind when attempting to describe this album, it is a runaway bullet train of speed and hostility unmatched even today. Of course the crazy shredding guitar solos that are commonplace in Japanese hardcore are in full effect, as well as the layer of fuzzed out distortion, though not to the degree of some of the other well-known Japanese bands. Lip Cream really never strayed from this style in their six year career, but it is this album that stands out in what proved to be a pretty stellar run. If you are already a Japanese hardcore nerd, then this is old-hat for you, however if you are a hardcore fan but were intimidated by the sheer volume of great Japanese records or the high prices the originals fetch, then "9 Shocking Terror" is as good a place to start as any. Oh, and don't even get me started on just how perfect that cover is. Get it here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GHMB665N

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

looks cool , can´t wait to hear it - timo